This course consists of a more substantial professional cookery qualification, available at both Certificate (60 credit) and Diploma (180 credit) level.
The Level 3 Certificate in Professional Cookery includes 5 core mandatory units including essential cookery and food preparation modules necessary for professional employment.
Certificate level core units:
Candidates must achieve all 5 mandatory units, providing (60 credits):
- Techniques and skills in preparation, cooking and finishing vegetables, sauces & soups
- Techniques and skills in preparation, cooking & finishing poultry, meat & game
- Techniques and skills in preparation, cooking & finishing fish & shellfish
- Techniques and skills in producing frozen, cold & hot desserts
- Techniques & skills in baking & baked products
Diploma level core units
Students undertaking the Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery must study the mandatory units from the Level 3 Certificate plus a choice of five additional options that allow them to focus on particular areas of interest. They can select from:
- Food safety practices in the preparation, service & storage of food
- Kitchen organisation
- High volume food production
- Food product development
- Techniques & skills in producing fermented dough products
- Nutrition & producing healthier dishes
- Producing farinaceous goods
- Vegetarian cookery
- Ethnic cookery
- International cookery
All teaching on this programme should be tutor guided and within a practical kitchen environment. Units are assessed via either practical examination or by written assignment.
The qualification is internally assessed but with external moderation from a CTH assessor. Moderation will take the form of attending examination sessions and analysis of internal assessor’s mark schemes for consistency of application of marks. CTH will also carry out a standardisation session with each delivery centre prior to practical examinations taking place.